Powered By Blogger

Sunday, April 1, 2012

One Minute Movie Review: Dr. Seuss' The Lorax

Let's start with the good news; one of the best CGI animated musicals to come down the pike in a long time. I took my children to a Saturday matinee, and they were thoroughly engrossed by the film. They sang along, cheered the hero, and loved every moment of it. The entire cast does an excellent job, and the characters become completely three dimensional even without the glasses. Efron and Swift are adorable together. White and Devito add the appropriate amount of heart and laughs to complete the package. The color, scope, and sweep of the movie is simply stunning. With all that said, for me, it quickly dissolved into a goofy, public service announcement for the pro environmental set with greedy corporations as the villains who do everything from eviscerating forests to selling bottled air. They, of course, also include a too big to fail joke. What a surprise. I do not believe for a second this was Dr. Seuss' vision of what the Lorax's purpose was, political agenda. For all the uber liberals, here is a reality check, nature unchecked will kill you. Without human intervention and progress; animal populations would escalate beyond containment, disease would spread like wildfire through a dry field, and new and more effective forms of agriculture and industry would be non existent. Although, I agree, corporate America has done its share of harm, the good they have done far out measures those errs. I understand capitalism and profit are the new evils according to the left. Even though this film's existence is wholly based on their support. I also assume the purpose of this movie was to make money or has Hollywood gone non profit without my noticing. It appears it is impossible for the Hollywood elite to make a positive movie about care of our world without making everyone who is not willing to live in a cave or abandon all ideas of progress look like the seeds of Cain? So, I digress off my soap box and conclude with this; use the film to teach your children to care for their environment and ignore all the rest. 2 out of 5 Kernels; the only time I will be liberal in my rating system. They ruined a beautiful story for political poppycock.

No comments:

Post a Comment